January 17, 2015
Know Why Salmon Is Healthy
When it comes to cold-water fish, the first variety that comes to the mind is definitely salmon. Apart from being tasty, salmon is also highly nutritious. Salmon's reputation as a healthy food is mainly due to its high omega-3 fatty acid content, particularly EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid).
In addition, it contains short protein molecules called peptides that have strong anti-inflammatory properties. Salmon also contains a good amount of the antioxidant amino acid taurine. Other important nutrients in salmon are vitamins B6, B12, and D, selenium, niacin, phosphorus, iodine, choline, pantothenic acid, biotin and potassium.
Salmon is available in the market in many different forms. You can buy fresh salmon in whole, steak or fillet form. It is also available frozen, canned, dried or smoked. When selecting salmon for its health benefits, always opt for wild-caught salmon (both in fresh or frozen form)instead of farmed salmon. Farmed salmon can be highly toxic and thus harmful to the body.
Experts recommend eating at least 2 servings of salmon each week. You can enjoy salmon in soup, salad, as a main dish or with green vegetables as a side dish. Be sure to cook it using methods that will keep it moist and tender. When overcooked, the fish will become dry and will lose its nutritional value. Grilled, smoked or baked salmon are the best options for reaping health benefits.
Some of the health benefits of salmon are:
1. Improves Cognitive Function: Salmon is very good for your brain. The brain contains 70 percent fat and requires essential fatty acids (omega-3s) to function properly. Salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which promote memory and brain power. They also help prevent excessive inflammation of the brain tissues and support increased blood flow to the brain. This prevents brain problems like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and age-related decline in brain function, including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
2. Prevents Cancer: Eating salmon is also associated with decreased risk for several types of cancer. In fact, several scientific research works discussing omega-3 fatty acids and cancer have concluded that omega-3 fatty acids have a profound effect on preventing cancer as well as killing tumors. Moreover, the vitamin D and selenium in salmon play a crucial role in lowering the risk of several types of cancer. Regular consumption of wild salmon can help kill cancer cells related to breast, prostate, brain, mouth, liver, kidney and skin cancers.
3. Controls Diabetes: Being high in omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is a good addition to any diet designed for diabetic people. It is full of protein and low in saturated fat. Eating wild salmon at least 2 or 3 times a week can even reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
4. Improves Cardiovascular Health: The omega-3 fatty acids in salmon reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol, maintain flexibility of arteries and veins, strengthen cardiac muscles and prevent high blood pressure. As salmon has low fat and high protein content, it is healthy for people with high blood pressure. Moreover, the antioxidant selenium in salmon is beneficial for cardiovascular health.
5. Prevents Eye-Related Problems: Eating salmon regularly can help protect your vision and improve your eyesight. The omega-3 EFA found in salmon is beneficial in the treatment and prevention of dry eye syndrome by lowering background levels of inflammation in the eye. It can also help in reducing the risk of age-related macular degeneration, one of the leading causes of irreversible vision loss. Moreover, the amino acids in salmon help improve eye health and prevent dryness and fatigue.
6. Reduces Stress: Eating salmon on a regular basis will help you feel at ease. A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids helps keep cortisol and adrenaline from spiking when you are under stress. In addition, it boosts brain chemicals like serotonin that help protect against mood swings and depression and maintain a happy feeling.
7. Keeps Bones and Joints Healthy: Salmon is one of the best foods for keeping your bones and joints healthy. Salmon contains proteins like calcitonin that help improve bone density and strength. It also helps prevent bone and joint diseases like osteoarthritis. Plus, it has other bone-boosting nutrients like calcium and vitamin D. Apart from keeping your bones and joints healthy, salmon can even help build lead muscle.
8. Reduces Inflammation: Omega-3 fatty acids like EPA and DHA in salmon offer anti-inflammatory benefits. They help reduce the level of cytokines in the body that promote inflammation. In addition, the high vitamin D and selenium content in salmon helps prevent unwanted inflammation.
July 11, 2014
9. Alleviates Skin Problems: Salmon can also promote healthy and radiant skin. Its essential fatty acids and other nutrients help regulate oil production and reduce signs of aging like fine lines, brown spots, wrinkles, sagging skin and dryness. It also has the ability to protect skin against sunburn as well as skin cancer.
10. Maintains Healthy Hair: When it comes to foods that can provide many hair benefits, salmon surely tops the list. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, high-quality protein, and vitamin B12 and D, salmon is good for hair growth. Essential omega-3 fatty acids, such as DHA and EPA, found in salmon support scalp health. They also provide nourishment to hair follicles, helping hair grow healthy and preventing hair loss.
Top Five Foods for Perfect Skin
Are you tired of spending money on expensive beauty products? Well, you can minimize your expenses on beauty products by following a healthy lifestyle. With healthy lifestyle your skin will be benefited immensely and it will also save your skin from the side effects of using chemical enriched products.
It’s time to throw away all those ineffective products and start eating foods for perfect skin. While some foods can aggravate your skin, others can enhance it. There are many superfoods for skin. You can find a detailed list of skin friendly superfoods at www.top10homeremedies.com, www.womenshealthmag.com and www.canadianliving.com.
To help you in making the right decision, here we have mentioned about 5 superfoods that you must eat every day for perfect skin.
Red bell peppers:
Red bell pepper contains vitamin C, dietary fiber and vitamin B6. Moreover, it is rich in carotenoids that can help prevent wrinkles and increase blood circulation to your skin, helping it look more youthful. Due to their carotenoids, red bell peppers are also great to fight acne. The fiber that a bell pepper contains will help you to feel full longer with very little calories. Plus, you will have a flawless skin!
Eat little but of dark chocolate every day for perfect skin! Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants, fatty acids and flavonoids that promote glowing skin. The antioxidants in dark chocolate will help reduce roughness in your skin and protect it against sun damage.
Salmon is an excellent food to fight stress, anxiety, and depression. Salmon also provides most of your daily vitamin D needs. And as you may already know, Vitamin D is responsible for keeping your heart, bones, colon and brain healthy. It also helps prevent colon cancer, anxiety, depression, heart disease and bone disease. Salmon is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids that play a key role in keeping your skin free from many problems like wrinkles, fine lines and acne. Moreover, salmon promotes healthy hair.
Coconut oil is one of the richest sources of saturated fat. It also contains anti-bacterial as well as anti-viral properties that help to keep your skin free from skin infections, inflammation, wrinkles and acne. Also the essential fatty acids and Vitamin E in coconut oil keep your skin moist and soft.
Papaya is a wonderful fruit which has a rich history and numerous nutritional benefits. It is very low in calories (only 39 calories per 100 g!) and also contains no cholesterol. So if you are trying to lose weight, consider eating papaya every day to maximize its health benefits. A great beauty food, papaya is low in fructose and is excellent for digestion! The antioxidant nutrients found in it, including Vitamins C and E and beta-carotene, are great at reducing inflammation and acne. Moreover, Vitamin C may also protect your skin against sun damage.
There is no need to eat all these foods every day, but even some of them would be great! Be sure to avoid junk foods, too much sugar, unhealthy fats and refined carbohydrates for the best skin possible.
September 11, 2013
Healthy Snack Ideas For Office
Most of us spend more time in the office as compared to home. Spending more hours in a day working in the office can make it difficult to eat healthy all the time. It has been found that during this time people are more prone to eating unhealthy foods. This is one reason why metabolism and energy level of office goers are less.
If you are serious about your health, then you must keep a check on what you are eating during your office hours. There are many healthy snack options that you can choose and enjoy them whenever you feel like eating something.
Here are some healthy snacks for you to choose:
Sprouts are a healthy snack option that you can enjoy anytime. Keep a box of sprouts at your desk. Add a little bit of salt and pepper and enjoy your healthy snack to drive your hunger away.
Those who have a sweet tooth can carry a packet of oat biscuits in their bags. Oats are low on calories and tasty also. Next time when you feel low on energy, eat one to two oat biscuits and within few minutes you will feel energetic.
The nutritional benefits of a boiled egg are not a secret anymore. A high-on-protein food, hard boiled eggs are also considered a healthy snack. Carry one to two boiled eggs separately or mix them along with a salad of your choice.
For sweet cravings you can always have dark chocolates. Opt for a piece of dark chocolates once in a while when you are tired of having salads and fruits.
Carrying a fruit with you when you leave for office is a healthy snack option. Oranges, apples, avocado, pear, banana or a guava are considered a healthy snack and these fruits also help to keep your belly filled for a longer time period.
Nuts make for a good mid-morning or mid afternoon snack when you are at work. All types of nuts like almonds, cashews, walnuts and so on are good for your health. However, as nuts are high in calories (about 170 calories per ounce) you need to eat them in limit. Always carry a small box of assorted nuts with you.
Greek yogurt is a great source of calcium, protein and Probiotics which is good for your digestive system. You can have a bowl of Greek yogurt as mid afternoon snack. You can even mix some berries or granola with Greek yogurt to make your snack even tastier.
For a good evening snack, a bowl of popcorn is a good choice. But your popcorn should be free of butter and salt. Make your popcorn at home with flax seed oil or olive oil and a bit of your favorite seasoning.
Corn is a great source of vitamin C and having them on a regular basis helps you stay on the health track. You can carry boiled corn in a box. Before eating the corns, add some salt, pepper and lemon as per your taste. You can even try grilled corn.
Whole Wheat Bread
You can eat a slice or two of whole wheat breads to satisfy your mid-morning and mid-afternoon carvings. Peanut butter and whole wheat bread is a good choice. You can even try sandwiches made with whole wheat bread, cottage cheese, tomatoes and cucumbers.
Keep these low-calorie, nutritious snacks in a cabinet, drawer, or your briefcase as healthy options for occasional snack carvings. These healthy and nutritional snacks will not only add that needed energy boost for the day, but they are delicious also to satisfy your taste buds.
June 21, 2013
Why You Should Eat a Healthy Breakfast?
Health experts from across the globe give stress to eating a healthy breakfast daily. Breakfast is considered as the most important meal of the day and it is highly recommended by health experts not to skip breakfast at any cost. But many people do not follow this advice and often skip this important meal of the day.
Studies have shown that less than 40 percent of Americans eat breakfast every day. There are different reasons behind this. While some people skip breakfast due to their busy schedules, many people avoid it to maintain their body weight.
Irrespective of your busy schedule, hectic lifestyles and health reasons, you should try your best to eat a nutritious breakfast before you start your day. There are a number of benefits that you can reap from eating breakfast.
Here are the top 5 benefits of eating a healthy breakfast:
Improves Your Focus Level: Studies show that people who eat breakfast are more alert and focused and do better on tests as compared to those who skip breakfast. Eating a healthy breakfast can improve brain function. Plus, when you are hungry, it is hard to think about anything else except for food.
Prevents Weight Gain: Often people think skipping breakfast is a good way to save on calories and lose weight, but this is not at all true. Several studies have proved that those who skip breakfast tend to weigh more than those who eat breakfast regularly. Additionally, those who eat breakfast are more likely to engage in physical activity on a regular basis. When you skip breakfast, you are much more likely to overeat during lunch and dinner. Additionally, you encourage your body to store calories when you skip breakfast.
Boosts Your Metabolism: The metabolism rate of the person decrease when he or she goes to sleep. By eating breakfast, you wake up your metabolism and get your engine running. A faster metabolism will allow you to burn more calories throughout the day. It has been found that those who skip breakfast have a metabolic rate four to five percent below normal, which may lead to weight gain.
Reduces Your LDL Cholesterol: LDL cholesterol is bad cholesterol that increases the risk of developing heart disease. A new study done by Harvard School of Public Health has shown that people who skip breakfast may be at a greater risk for having a heart attack. But by eating breakfast regularly you can lower LDL cholesterol, obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes, which are all heart disease risk factors. TTo reduce your risk of having a heart attack eat breakfast daily.
Makes You Energetic: Those who skip breakfast often feel sluggish and tired. This is because when you wake up in the morning, your blood sugar is at its lowest point in the day. Without breakfast, your body does not get the nutrients to function properly. When you eat breakfast, your blood sugar and insulin levels rise more slowly throughout the day, and help you feel energetic throughout the day. It has been proved that people who eat breakfast have higher energy levels and may engage in more physical activity than people who don't.
Choosing the Right Breakfast Foods
This just goes to show how important it is to choose the right foods for breakfast. A healthy breakfast meal should contain a variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low- or non-fat dairy and lean protein.
Some healthy breakfast choices are:
- A vegetable omelet with a piece of bread
- Low-fat cheese with scrambled egg
- Whole grain cereal with milk
- Oatmeal with milk and nuts.
- One vegetable sandwich with one glass of orange juice
- One cup yogurt and one apple
- Yogurt smoothie and breakfast bar
- Hard-boiled eggs with one banana or an apple.
It is very important for you to make time for your breakfast. A healthy breakfast will increase your metabolism, boost your energy, help you focus and lower your bad cholesterol. It can also prevent you from gaining weight and reduce your risk of having a heart attack.
May 20, 2013
A Perfect Meal Plan for a Day
The types of food and eating habit you follow have a huge impact on your health. Good nutrition is an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. Good eating habits combined with physical activity, can help you to reach and maintain a healthy weight, reduce your risk of chronic diseases, and promote your overall health.
Most of us do not have any ideas what we should be eating, and when. Due to this most people end up eating lots of unhealthy foods and even skip their meals.
Here is a guide to a perfect eating day:
6 to 7 AM: Early Morning
After waking up, you need to drink a glass of lukewarm water with one tablespoon of lemon juice. It will help to flush out impurities from within the body as well as rehydrate your body and skin after a night’s sleep. Also the acidic property of lemon facilitates optimal nutrient absorption. After having water, you need to do some sort of physical exercise for at least half an hour.
8 AM: Breakfast
Irrespective of how much busy you are, you need to eat your breakfast. People who eat breakfast daily enjoys a slim body, have fewer nutrient deficiencies, have better memories and are more healthy as compared to those people who skip breakfast. Good choices for breakfast include:
- Muesli with skimmed milk
- Two whole grain bread toast with cream cheese and one apple
- Porridge sprinkled with raisins and brown sugar
- A glass of low- fat milkshake
- Baked beans on a mixed grain loaf with a little avocado
- A glass of freshly squeezed orange juice
- Hard boiled eggs with two bread slices
- One bowl of oatmeal
- Yogurt with fresh fruits
- One banana
Note: With breakfast avoid having strong black coffee as it can make you less energetic and cause mood fluctuation.
10 to 11 AM: Mid Morning Snack
To remain healthy it is important to eat something light in every two to three hours. This helps to keep energy level up and avoid big mealtime binges. Good choices for small snacks include:
- An apple
- Handful of dry roasted nuts
- A bowl of yogurt with some berries
- Few whole grain biscuits
- Cottage cheese
1 to 1.30 PM: Lunch
This is the time for your lunch and you must not skip it at any cost. It is recommended to eat a high-protein lunch as it helps to increase alertness and keeps your stomach full for longer time period. Good choices for lunch include:
- A plate of dark, leafy green vegetable salad (you can also include tomatoes, carrots and mushrooms)
- Tuna fish
- Grilled chicken
- One to two slices of whole grain bread
- One small bowl of brown rice
3.30 to 4 PM: Afternoon Snack
It is important to have a light snack between lunch and dinner. A small snack will help to keep your blood sugar stable and will give you energy to keep you going until dinner. Also small snacks can help you manage your weight. Some of the good choices for afternoon snack include:
- A banana
- A toast with peanut or almond butter
- Little amount of dark chocolate
- A handful of dried fruits
- Plain popcorn
6.30 PM: Tea Time
To unwind and relax after a stressful day, you can drink a cup of green tea. Green tea is a delicious beverage that has many health benefits due to its antiviral, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
7.30 to 8 PM: Dinner
Dinner is the one meal that the family sits down at the table to share. Do not skip dinner as it will slow down your metabolism rate and put a stop to the weight loss process. Dinners should be high in protein and fiber, low in fat or fat free. You need to start your dinner with a bowl of hot soup. For the main meal, good choices include
- Mackerel, salmon and sardine dishes
- Cooked vegetables like sautéed broccoli or spinach
- Half cup of brown rice
- Wholegrain sandwiches and pasta
Note: With dinner you can drink a glass or two of red wine.
9.30 PM: Dessert
Wait an hour or so after dinner and then opt for some kind of dessert. A few good options include:
- A tablespoon of chocolate drizzled over 1/2 cup of berries
- Apple slices with honey,
- Coconut water or orange juice ice pops
Finally, take a light walk and then go to bed. You must aim for 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night. Inadequate sleep can cause a host of health problems, including weight gain, diabetes, high blood pressure, and more.
Note: Throughout the day you must drink enough water. It is recommended to drink six to eight glasses of water a day. This helps to keep your body free from toxins and harmful chemicals and also it keeps the body hydrated.
Follow this guideline properly and soon you will enjoy better health and skin. Remember, this is a basic guideline and you can make your own meal plan after consulting a nutritionist or health expert.